Wednesday, February 25, 2009

They came, they climbed, they cooked, they ate...


My parents arrived for their first visit to Cambodia on a friday morning for two full weeks with weekends either side. The first week was spent with us in Phnom Penh getting a feel for what life is like in the Penh and seeing the usual tourist sights around town. Although we had seen dad a few times while we lived in Singapore, as he flew in and out on business in the region, M and I hadn't seen mum for more than two years. The visit was overdue.


They had stopped over in Singapore for a few days to catch up with friends so were already in holiday mode and we headed out straight away.


First we visited the National Museum to get a sense of what was to come during their week at the temples at Angkor.....






....spent a morning looking at the golden manicured splender of the Royal Palace and climbed Wat Phnom the only hill in town ....




...toured The Killing Fields and Toul Sleng....




....ate lunch at Friends and then took a cooking class taught by a Friends graduate which was deemed such a success M and I have decided to enrol for a class ourselves next time he has a day off.


Very rarely do they get a chance to holiday together as dad is always working so, in the spirit of vacation adventure, I had prebooked the class and although dad looked a bit dubious and a lot amused, when I let them in on my plans, I wasn't taking no for an answer. The class began at 9 with a tour of the market and then back to the open air rooftop cooking studio and individual woks (I wish I'd seen dads face).




We took longer trips to the wildlife park at Tamao and the old capital Oudong and did what families do best...ate and talked.



Then they flew up to Siem Reap hired a driver and bought a three day temple pass.....




......and climbed and climbed and climbed.





Not all of Angkor involves climbing....thank goodness!




Their final weekend was spent on the coast at Sihanoukville enjoying the great variety of fresh seafood on offer and some brilliant sunsets.



I think they enjoyed themselves, I know we did.


No comments: